In the spirit of artistic mastery and the tradition of Old World craftsmanship, the Harlequin Collection combines the centuries-old technique of Guilloch with the art and expertise of Hard Enamel.
Hand-crafted from 18-karat gold and .925 Sterling Silver, each precious metal component passes through multiple stages of precision engraving, creating an intricate pattern known as guilloch; a painstaking process which brings life and light to the surface of precious metals.
Using a mortar and pestle, a composition of glass, water and metal oxides is ground for hours by hand. When settled, the water is removed, leaving the fine paste that is the basis for hard enamel. A quill is then used to apply each coat of the mixture to the surface of the metal, ensuring that the entire guilloch area is completely covered in enamel. The components are then fired in a furnace at temperatures exceeding 1,000 F, fusing the enamel to the metal and forming a layer of glass.
After cooling, the pieces are manually ground with a diamond file, restoring their proper shape and surface. This tedious process is repeated at length until the level of enamel reaches the depth required to cover the peaks and fill the valleys of each intricate guilloch pattern. When the final stages of firing are completed, the pieces are polished and buffed, revealing the velvet finish of translucent hard enamel.
- Limited to production of 88 pieces (including fountain pens and roller balls)
- Silver components are finished in Gold Vermeil
- Intricate guilloch pattern, a painstaking process which brings life and light to the surface of precious metals, engraved on each pen
- The Art Deco design of this Limited Edition requires multiple stages of engraving
- Each Harlequin piece is set with three VVS-1 diamonds (.016 carats each): one in the top of the crown, one in the bottom of the barrel and one in the clip